My Experience on Hacking the Dutch Government
Hello, fellow Bug Hunters! It’s me again Jefferson Gonzales, and in this article, I’ll tell you about how I got my dream Dutch Government SWAG, and without wasting your time let’s get started.
On May last year 2021, I noticed that many Bug Hunters had posted on Twitter and LinkedIn that they had received swag from the Dutch Government, I saw the T-Shirt, which was so awesome and had a print saying “I hacked the Dutch government and all I got was this lousy t-shirt,” and I wanted to wear that t-shirt as well, so I searched for a list of Dutch Government domains and found it on github.
I manually checked all of that domain for two weeks and all I got is a Static Website and I didn’t found any bugs, so I need to find a good target that is not a Static Website, after checking manually I found a target which is number 1043 on the list
The first I did is to use Waybackurls so I can collect all the hidden parameters, and when my waybackurls done scanning I found an interesting parameter that was reflected on the web page
The value of the parameter ?photographer= was reflected on the page, to test if it’s possible for XSS I add a value Gonz”> to ?photographer= and it was reflected without sanitizing the symbols
Open Redirect to XSS
While waiting for the fix on the above report I hunt again and I found another latest dutch government website list, you can download it below
After I downloaded and looking for a new target I found a good one
Since in the main domain there’s no any juicy endpoint I scan the subdomain using the tool called Sublist3r and I found an interesting one
The thing that caught my attention is there’s a Login but there’s no Signup or Register
I tried a default user/pass
When I try the demo:demo credential I redirected into the dashboard, but inside the Dashboard of a Demo privilege user there’s no interesting functions since you can’t edit or modify any content it’s like it’s the same as user without authentication
But using the demo credential I found an open redirect vulnerability
but I need to escalate this bug to a better vulnerability so it will be qualified to their Vulnerability Disclosure Program.
I used the below payload to escalate into XSS
So when I click the below link and login using the demo credential the XSS will be executed
CSRF to Account Takeover
My third target was
It has a big scope to hunt since there’s a Login and Register, first I created an account and then login
When I update my name I found out that there’s no CSRF Token implemented so I can modify any users name with CSRF attack, but this is not a critical bug since I can only modify the name
I need to find a way to make it a serious bug, so I looked through all of the features and discovered the change password feature, which allows me to change my password without having to enter the old one.
I immediately generated a CSRF POC using Burp Suite CSRF Generator, tested it on my second account, and it successfully changed the password on my second account.
Submitted Date: May 3, 2021
Resolved Date: September 16, 2021
Submitted Date: August 15, 2021
Resolved Date: September 21, 2021
Submitted Date: August 17, 2021
Resolved Date: October 1, 2021
After a month, my swag still hasn’t arrived, so I go to my local post office and pick it up myself.
Thank you for reading this writeup.